Emerson launches Roxar RMS 2011 reservoir modelling solution
Posted: 24 May 2011
Emerson Process Management has released Roxar RMS 2011, the latest version of its reservoir modelling software.
RMS 2011 can cope with more geological complexities in its model building than any other package on the market today.
"As operators are faced with deeper and more challenging geological settings, any reservoir model that oversimplifies the obvious geological complexities is not going to deliver the vital information operators require for well planning and reservoir management today," said Ordin Husa, managing director of Emerson’s Roxar Software Solutions.
"RMS 2011 has been designed to cope with whatever structural or modelling complexity is thrown at it with no model compromises or simplifications.
"RMS 2011’s ability to leverage seismic and accommodate complex geologies, while making the workflow as easy to use and accessible as possible, will lead to faster, more robust and reliable production models, improved decision-making, more justifiable investments, and enhanced field performance."
RMS 2011 comes with more new features than any previous RMS version and provides modellers with enhancements to the seismic architecture to allow direct reference between the reservoir models and the 3D and 4D seismic data that the interpretation and modelling is based on.
Key highlights of RMS 2011 include new tools to model complex geologies and incorporate 4D seismic into the workflow; geological well correlation improvements; new fracture modelling capabilities; and usability and integration features that make RMS 2011 even more accessible and easy to use, while at the same time realistically modelling some of the world’s most complex geologies.
Benefits to users of RMS 2011 include:
- The ability to model beneath and around salt and other complex structures. RMS 2011 supports complex fault modelling that other applications can’t handle and incorporates these models into its advanced 3D gridding engine without simplification. Additional modelling functionalities that come with RMS 2011 include building intrusion objects into structural modelling to better model salt, and a new grid data structure for improved performance, scalability and more flexibility in the grid geometry.
- Enhanced facies modelling tools which will enable the user to rapidly combine the latest 4D seismic surveys into the models to improve the quality of interpretations, structural and property models, simulation models, and well plans. The model can also be the basis for a more quantitative use of 4D seismic data, especially towards history matching with both production data and 4D data.
- New well correlation tools with improved handling for horizontal and vertical well correlations which cross stratigraphic boundaries. RMS 2011 enables the user to split the horizontal well into separate sections so that well data can be inspected in the most practical manner possible, whether True Vertical Thickness (TVT) or True Stratigraphic Thickness (TST). In addition, advanced ghost curve capabilities can mix and match curves. Users can also examine array logs on top of one dimensional well logs, allowing for correlation to take place by taking into account seismic data as well as resistivity logs.
- Fractures are also fully integrated into the RMS 2011 reservoir modelling workflow through a DFN-based (Discrete Fracture Network) model which enables robust, fractured models to be built faster, providing an important tool in tackling the complex, fracture-prone geologies prevalent throughout the world.
- Improved usability and integration features which make RMS 2011 even more accessible and easier to use. Users are able to easily import large 2D or 3D surveys into RMS 2011 and enjoy an optimised working environment with updated data analysis charts, multiple and highly interactive visual displays and the best in graphics technology. For quality control purposes, the user can also produce all the necessary charts and maps to check consistency between the property models and the input data.
Emerson’s flagship reservoir modelling solution, Roxar RMS comprises 13 fully integrated software modules, including mapping, reservoir modelling, well planning, reservoir simulation and uncertainty modelling tools.
RMS 2011 operates on Linux 64-bit, Windows XP and the Vista 32 and 64-bit platforms, as well as Windows 7 64-bit.