energyme.com :: news + energy + technology
     
  The Tuesday Letter
Subscribe
Submit Articles
Feedback
Search
Advertise
Events
Product Reviews
Monthly Edition
Energy Archive
 
     
  RSS feeds RSS Feeds  
     
   
     
     
     
   
     
   
 

ENERGY NEWS

 
     
 

Chevron first oil from Blind Faith field in Gulf of Mexico

Posted: 12 November 2008

Chevron Corporation has started crude oil production from its Blind Faith Field in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.

First oil from Blind Faith was achieved on Nov. 11, 2008. Daily production is expected to ramp up to approximately 65,000 barrels of crude oil and 55 million cubic feet of natural gas over the next three months.

"Blind Faith is one of several major near-term upstream projects that will allow us to grow our reserves and production," said George Kirkland, executive vice president, Global Upstream and Gas, Chevron.

"It is another demonstration of how Chevron is leading the industry in the selection and execution of major capital projects."

Blind Faith utilizes a deep-draft semisubmersible hull located about 160 miles (250 kilometers) southeast of New Orleans, La., on Mississippi Canyon block 650. Chevron's deepest offshore production facility, Blind Faith is located in 6,500 feet (1,981 meters) of water, and with subsea systems located in 7,000 feet (2,134 meters) of water in Mississippi Canyon blocks 695 and 696.

"First oil from Blind Faith is another milestone in Chevron's efforts to tap the vast deepwater energy resources in the Gulf of Mexico," said Gary Luquette, president, Chevron North America Exploration and Production.

"Chevron is the largest leaseholder in the Gulf of Mexico, where we have a robust program of exploration and production activities, especially in the deep water."

"The Blind Faith team delivered a world-class project that will bring on new supplies to help the nation meet its energy needs," said Steve Thurston, vice president, Deepwater Exploration and Projects, Chevron North America Exploration and Production.

The Blind Faith discovery well was drilled in June 2001 and encountered more than 200 feet (61 meters) of net pay in Miocene sands at depths of 20,900 feet (6,370 meters) to 24,300 feet (7,407 meters).

A successful appraisal well was drilled in 2004. The field has an estimated gross resource potential exceeding 100 million barrels of oil-equivalent.

Chevron holds a 75 per cent working interest in Blind Faith and is the operator, and Anadarko Petroleum Corporation holds the remaining 25 per cent working interest.

 

 
     

 

Zamil Industrial

Dana Gas

SABIC

Beach Petroleum

Horizon Oil
Advertise